Monday, September 2, 2013

CLASSIC BOARD GAMES (PART 2)


Here's some fun for the day..........

TRIVIA:  (answer below)
When were the first Winter Olympic Games held?

BRAIN TEASER:
What can travel around the world while staying in a corner?

QUESTION OF THE DAY:
Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

COMIC FUN:




TRICIA'S TWEET OF THE DAY:
We are not equipped to handle all of the problems we face, but God is.




CLASSIC BOARD GAMES ( PART 2)


I'm taking another stroll down classic board game lane.   Last time we looked at 'Sorry', 'Easy Money', 'Operation' and 'Green Ghost'.   Let's take a gander at 4 more


BATTLESHIP


My brother and I played this one all the time.   It was so cool to be 3-D and to have the pegs and the boats.   

A little history on this one.  Turns out this was originally a pen and pencil game dating back to WWI and was released as a plastic board game by Milton-Bradley in 1967.


To play, you place your ships on the grid.   There's the aircraft carrier (5 pegs), battleship (4 pegs), submarine (3 pegs) and patrol boat (2 pegs).   That 2-pegger was always a tough one to find and extra special if you got rid of you opponents 2-pegger early in the game.

The box cover above is the one that was on the game my brother and I had.    We always yelled out 'It's A Hit' ( if it was one) just like the Dad on the box.   You have to lean back and do you arm.   We'd also yell out "You Sunk My Battleship" like they did on the commercial.    Here's a look at an old commercial for the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrHs8CWDzmc

It was also extra cool to yell out G-4 like on the picture on the box.    Something just hit me as I'm typing this.   Because it was on the box, I always yelled out G-4 so I could be like the box and do the motions of the kid.   It was never a hit.  Duh.   I'm sure my brother figured out that I always said that and wisely never put a boat near there.   I can be so dense sometimes.   And to think.....I'm almost 50 yrs old and just figured that out.

When I got my first iPod, I put the Battleship app on so I could play.   It was fancy smancy and lots of cool graphics, but I missed the white and red pegs and my little boats.   They just seem like more fun to me.   I guess it's what you grow up with.




MYSTERY DATE




This was a game for girls.   It was developed in 1965 by Milton Bradley.    The object of the the game is to be ready for a date by acquiring 3 color-coded matching cards to assemble an outfit.    The outfit must then match the date at the mystery door.    



The 5 possible dates are:  formal dance, bowling, beach, skiing and the dud.     It was always quite the bummer to get the dud.   I still remember the theme song:  "...Mystery date.....are you ready for your Mystery date...."  

For those of you that have a desire to see the old commercial...here ya' go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfcBl_Eps_c



TROUBLE



This game was launched in the United States in 1965.   The most notable feature is the pop-o-matic die container which I was obsessed with as a kid.   Such a cool way to roll the die.   Trouble is very much like the game 'Sorry' in that you are trying to move your pieces around the board and into home.    




My brother and I played this all the time growing up.    He pretty much beat me at most the games we played and I think this made me a bit competitive.    My daughter and I would play this when she was little and I got too into the competition of the game.    This was the game that was one of our last board games until later years because I got her crying when we played this one.   Poor thing, she was only about 5 years old.   Nice mom.    Thankfully, I got her to eventually play 'Sorry' with me when she was almost out of high school.   I almost warped her for life of board games.


And now.....for the spooky game, which will always be a feature on classic board games posts because I loved them so much.    I may have been the only one playing these, but I loved this.    This time we'll look at...


THE HAUNTED MANSION GAME



The Haunted Mansion attraction at Disney World has always been my favorite Disney ride and so I was super excited as a kid to get this game.     In this game, players move their 'doom buggy' around the board through the Haunted Mansion.   There's rotating discs that change the path of your doom buggy.    I have some trivia about the voice of the "Ghost Host" from the Disney attraction, but I'll save that for a future post about famous cartoon voices (part 2).



Well, there's another look at some classic board games.   There's still many more to look at and we'll do that in future posts.   


TRIVIA ANSWER:
1925


BRAIN TEASER:
A stamp

Until next time...........


2 comments:

Jenny Downs said...

The same thing happened to us with the game Trouble. One time Anna, Will and I were playing and Anna (she was about age 5 or 6) never did roll a 6 to get any of her pieces out...in the meantime Will and I got all our pieces out and around the board. She held it in but at the end of the game Anna just burst into tears! She still isn't a big fan of board games!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. That game of Trouble likes to cause trouble.