Wednesday, November 6, 2013

MEANINGS BEHIND 5 FAMOUS LOGOS



Here's some fun for the day……...

TRIVIA:  (ANSWER BELOW)
What month in 1812 did the Titanic go down?

BRAIN TEASER:
How can you make seven even?   

JOKE:
Q:  Why did the cookie go to the hospital?
A:  Because it felt crummy.


QUESTION OF THE DAY:
If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?



COMIC FUN:







TRICIA'S TWEET OF THE DAY:
Raise your children in church, but don't forget to raise them in Christ.   Don't get caught up in the rules and forget the relationship with Him.




MEANINGS BEHIND 5 FAMOUS LOGOS


I was driving a few days ago ( actually I drive every day) when I was stopped at a stop light.   I looked around and noticed that almost everyone looks down at their phones when they are stopped.   I thought I'd meander a gander around my surroundings and not be like everyone else.  That's when I noticed the Starbucks logo and got to wondering as I often do.   I thought to myself……'what's up with that chick on the logo?  It must have a meaning'.   Many of you may know it, but I didn't, and so this led me to looking up a few tidbits.   I thought I'd take a look today at 5 famous logos and the meaning behind them.

starting with……...




1.  STARBUCKS LOGO





The original Starbucks logo, conceived in 1971, was fashioned after a 15th century Norse woodcut, the image of a mythical two-tailed mermaid siren.   In Greek mythology, a siren is alluring and irresistible.   She is half-fish/half-woman and named Melusine.   (for some reason I'm now singing Chuck Berry's 'Maybelline' song with the new name of Melusine.   I think this will be stuck in my head for awhile)


I guess using a siren in their logo means that Starbucks coffee is also alluring and irresistible.  I know it is for many, but Melusine didn't work on me.   I think Starbucks coffee is too strong.  It tastes like I'm popping coffee beans in my mouth and chomping on them like Tic Tacs.    





2.  MERCEDES BENZ LOGO




The company's founder, Gottlieb Daimler, had marked a star above his own house on a picture postcard and wrote his wife that the star would one day shine over his own factory to symbolize prosperity.  (at the time he was a technical director at a gas factory)

The three-pointed star was also used to symbolize Daimler's ambition of universal motorization  - 'on land, on water and in the air'.    The three-pointed star enclosed in a circle became a registered trademark in 1923.




3.  PITTSBURGH STEELERS LOGO




The Steelers logo is based on the Steelmark logo belonging to the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI).  The colors on the Steelers logo each have meaning.   Originally, they were to represent the attributes of steel.  Yellow lightens your work.  Orange brightens your leisure and blue widens your world.    The logo's meaning was later amended to represent the three materials used to produce steel.   Yellow for coal; orange for iron ore; and blue for steel scrap.




4.  NIKE LOGO




The Nike logo is called the 'Swoosh'.   It represents the wing of the Greek goddess Nike.   Nike was the winged goddess of victory.    


this makes me want to sing "Put One Foot in Front Of the Other" from 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town'



A woman named Carolyn Davidson designed the logo back in 1971 and was paid $35 for the design.   In 1983 she was given a gold and diamond 'swoosh' ring along with an undisclosed amount of Nike stock.




5.  MGM LOGO
(Jackie  1928-1956)


The MGM logo is a roaring lion surrounded by a ring of film inscribed with the studio's motto 'Ars Gratia Artis' which means "Art for Art's sake.   The logo was created in 1916 for Goldwyn pictures and updated in 1924 for MGM's use.

The logo was designed by Howard Dietz.   He chose a lion in honor of his alma mater's mascot - The Columbia University lion. 

Different lions were used over the years.   Here's their names:

Slats (1924 - 1928)


(I think Slats looks bored)


Jackie ( 1928 - 1956)  - above under 'MGM logo'
George (1956 - 1957)


(I'm thinking George was too scary and got fired)



Leo (1957 - present)


(looks like Leo is saying 'OMG' with a valley girl accent)

(They experimented occasionally with a technicolor lion in the years 1927 - 1934 )  For you theater buffs……I hope they bought him an amazing technicolor coat.   


There's a look at a few famous logos.    I'll have to take a gander at some others in a future post.




TRIVIA ANSWER:
April

BRAIN TEASER:
Remove the 's'

Until next time…….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOUR BRAIN NEVER STOPS - RIGHT. VERY INTERESTING LOV U