Sunday, December 15, 2013

THE MESSAGE OF 'A CHRISTMAS CAROL'


Here's some fun for the day…….

TRIVIA:  
What was the first animated holiday program ever produced specifically for television?

CHRISTMAS BRAIN TEASER:  (Decipher these Christmas Carols)

1.  Proceed and Enlighten on the Pinnacle
2.  The Quadruped with the Vermillion Proboscis
3.  Query Regarding Identity of Descendent 
4.  Minuscule Hamlet in the Near East
5.  Mirthful Ancient Despot


JOKE:
Q:  What nationality is Santa Claus?
A:  North Polish

COMIC FUN:




TRICIA'S TWEET OF THE DAY:
It often takes more faith to go through something victoriously than to be delivered from it.  Put your faith in God and come out stronger.







I'm a Christmas movie fan and one of my favorite Christmas movies is "A Christmas Carol".  Not surprising since it combines spookiness with a Christmas theme.   As a kid, my favorite version was a cartoon version.    Here's a pic from that one:


Jacob Marley visits Scrooge

I also really liked "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol."   There's a lot of catchy tunes in that one.       The 1951 version with Alastair Sim as Scrooge is a classic as well and I also like the Muppet's version.   For me, the all time best came out in 1984 and starred George C. Scott as Ebenezer Scrooge.  I still remember my first time seeing it.  I was staying at home on my Christmas break from college and my Dad & I watched it.   We were very impressed.   George C. Scott is a great actor and was a wonderful Scrooge.   He was the only American in the film.   There was also a great repoire between he and Edward Woodward who played the "Ghost of Christmas Present"




I could pretty much quote this entire movie.   When I got married,  I made my husband watch it with me every year and then our daughter joined in as she got older.   I assumed they loved it as much as I did.   One year, I was doing my usual 'favorite quotes' from the movie as they appeared ( our daughter usually rolled her eyes during my quoting) and noticed all was silent.   I looked around and both my husband and daughter were asleep.    That was the year they broke it to me that watching this movie was slight torture for them.    How could this be so??

These days, I have my "Christmas Carol" viewing on an evening when I have the house to myself.   I recently had that evening and watched the Mr. Magoo version and the George C Scott version. Quite festive.

As much as I love the spookiness of "A Christmas Carol", there are wonderful messages to be found.  I try to remind myself of these throughout the year, but it's always good to have the 'visual' reminder each Christmas season.


THE MESSAGES OF 'A CHRISTMAS CAROL'




1.  It's easy to get caught up in the trap of holding onto money.   
Being miserly with money and not using it to help others was the trap that Ebenezer Scrooge fell into and is one that can grab hold of many of us.   Scrooge was very wealthy, but his nephew Fred makes an important observation.    

Fred:  "His wealth is of no use to him.  He doesn't do any good with it.  Who suffers from his ill wills?  Himself, always."   

This reminds me of Jesus words that it is more blessed to give than to receive.

2.  Blessings are found in family and friends, not in things.    
This message is also found in "It's A Wonderful Life" (another fave of mine)    I love that both of these movies remind me of what is really important.   It's not about things and our own selfish wants.  What is important is relationships, helping other people and being there for our family and friends.   

3.  It's never too late to change.   
Scrooge became an entirely different person after his experience with the ghosts.     Scrooge was in the later years of his life, but still made a complete change.  Some people just say to themselves '..that's how I am….I'm too old to change…'   I don't agree with that, but you do have to want to change and be willing to change.   I love the ending of the movie/book when it talks of his lasting change.  

"Scrooge was better than his word.  He became as good a friend, as good a master, and as a good a man as the old city knew, or any other good ole town, or borough, in the good old world."

4.  Beware of ignorance and want.    
Near the end of the Ghost of Christmas Present's visit, he reveals 2 children under his cloak.   




Spirit of Christmas Present:   "...the boy is Ignorance.  This girl is Want.  Beware them both, but most of all beware the boy for on his brow is written the word doom."



5.  The real meaning of Christmas.   The birth of Jesus.    
It's subtle in this movie, but it is there.  When Bob Cratchit comes in from church with Tiny Tim on his shoulder.    Mrs Cratchit asks how Tiny Tim behaved in church.   

Bob replies  "….as good as gold, and better.  He told me, coming home, that he hoped the people saw him in the church, because he was a cripple, and it might be pleasant to them to remember upon Christmas Day, who made lame beggars walk and blind men see…."



Take time to cherish your blessings and what is truly important.    It's easy to get caught up in the busyness of our lives and to not take time to notice people that need help and people that need love and care.   


….as Tiny Tim exclaims…..

"God bless us…Every One!."

-------------------------

TRIVIA ANSWER:

"Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol"  (1962)

CHRISTMAS BRAIN TEASER

1.  Go Tell it On the Mountain
2.  Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
3.  What Child is This?
4.  O Little Town of Bethlehem
5.  Jolly Old St. Nicholas

Until next time……..


No comments: