Sunday, February 9, 2014

SCENTS THAT EVOKE MEMORIES/FEELINGS



Here's some fun for the day……..

TRIVIA:
What is the fahrenheit equivalent of 100 degrees centigrade? 

BRAIN TEASER:
I am weightless but you can see me.  Put me in a bucket and I make it lighter.  What am I?

JOKE:
Q:  How do monkeys go down the stairs?
A:  They slide down the banana-ster

QUESTION TO PONDER:
At a movie theater, which arm rest is yours?

COMIC FUN:



TRICIA'S TWEET OF THE DAY:
Pride is our motivator when we try to handle our own situations rather than humbling ourselves & asking God what we ought to do.



SCENTS THAT EVOKE MEMORIES



Have you ever noticed that a particular scent can bring forth a rush of vivid memories? The smell of Vick’s VapoRub may remind you of having a cold as a child.  The smell of a campfire may remind you of Fall.
Among the 5 senses, smell has the strongest and most direct connection with memory.  Why does smell seem to act as such a powerful memory trigger?
First, the olfactory nerve is located very close to the area of the brain that is connected to the experience of emotion as well as emotional memory. 
The actual ability to smell is highly linked to memory. Research has shown that when areas of the brain connected to memory are damaged, the ability to identify smells is actually impaired. In order to identify a scent, you must remember when you have smelled it before and then connect it to visual information that occurred at the same time.

Here’s a look at a few scents that bring back memories for me and most likely some of them bring back memories for you too.




1.  Noxzema Face Cream





2.  The smell of a Pumpkin when you first cut it open





3.  Sea Breeze Astringent






4.  Chantilly perfume - (my grandmother wore)

5.  Chanel # 5 perfume - (my mom wore when I was a kid)

6.  Cinnamon pine cones (reminds me of Christmas)

7.  Chlorine

8.  Elmer's glue - (reminds me of elementary school)

9.  Mercurochome antiseptic  (quite the sting when this red medicine was put on a cut)





10.  Freshly painted room

11.  Moth balls

12.  Clairol Herbal Essence Shampoo

13.  Aqua Net hairspray

14.  Breakfast sausage or bacon

15.  Cider Vinegar (reminds me of coloring Easter Eggs)

16.  Combination of celery and onions cooking

17.  Fresh green beans cooking

18.  Fried Chicken cooking




19.  Campfire

20.  Vick's VapoRub





21.  Lavender

22.  Rubbing alcohol

23.  Cake baking

24.  Freshly cut grass




25.  Garlic Bread

26.  Pine

27.  Saw dust




28.  Toast

29.  Coffee




30.  Pipe tobacco or cigar

31.  Testor's Model airplane glue.




32.  Hoppes #9  gun cleaner (my hubby's favorite smell)

33.  Fresh laundry/Downey

34.  Rain

35.  New car

36.  Popcorn





37.  Coppertone Suntan Lotion (smells like childhood summers)


(thanks to my friend Pam for reminding me of this one!)


Happy Smelling!


=============

TRIVIA ANSWER:
212 degrees

BRAIN TEASER ANSWER:
A hole

Until next time…….

3 comments:

Pam hicknan said...

You forgot the one thing we would get out every winter and smell! Coopertone Lotion!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Fudge cooking on the stove and the original Jergen' s lotion, and Old Spice aftershave.

Unknown said...

Those are good ones Jane. I still buy the original Jergens because I love that smell. I love Old Spice too!