Sunday, May 18, 2014

HAND ME THAT WHATCHAMACALLIT…DOOHICKEY….THINGABOB…..





Here's some fun for the day……..
TRIVIA:
Who was pictured on the first U.S. adhesive 5 cent stamp? 10 cent stamp?

BRAIN RIDDLE:
I am pronounced with only one letter but written with three letters.  Two different letters are used to write me.  My color varies from black, blue, green, brown, grey etc..  What am I?

JOKE:
Q:  Why did the tomato blush?
A:  It saw the salad dressing. 


QUESTION TO PONDER:
If an orange is an orange, why isn't a lime a green or a lemon a yellow?


COMIC FUN:






TRICIA'S TWEET OF THE DAY:
The only way trial, loss, frustration, illness, or heartache can win in our lives is if we fail to cherish Jesus through it.


PASS ME THAT DOOHICKEY…THINGAMABOB

A lifelong friend of mine (Hi Wendy!) recently sent me a text mentioning how she loved the word Doohickey and suggested it as a tidbit for my blog.   There's lots of words that many of use like this when we know what it is we want but have a brain freeze on the specific word.   Here's a look at just a few of these type of words and how we use them.



1.  DOOHICKEY

** Definition: The name of an object (or person) you either can't remember or never knew the name in the first place.

Here it is used in a sentence:

"Hey honey, there's ice on my windshield.  Can you hand me the doohickey?" 



2.  WHATCHAMACALLIT

**Same use as Doohickey

"Hey honey, there's ice on my windshield.  Can you hand me the whatchamacallit?  It's right next to the doohickey"




3.  THINGAMABOB

**Same use as Doohickey & Whatchamacallit

"Hey honey, there's ice on my windshield.  Can you hand me the Thingamabob.  It's under the Whatchamacallit that's next to the doohickey."


4.  THINGAMAJIG

**Same use as Doohickey, Whatchamacallit & Thingamabob.   Often used interchangeably with Thingamabob.

"Hey honey, there's ice on my windshield.  Can you hand me that Thingamajig, you know, it's the Thingamabob.  It's under the Whatchamacallit that's next to the doohickey.



5.  DOODAD

**More specific term.  It's an item you can't think of the name of, but it is generally smaller than a doohickey, whatchamacallit, thingamabob, thingamajig.


"Hey honey, while you're getting the the thingamabob that's under the whatchamacallit next to the doohickey, will you also bring that little doodad?  


6.  GIZMO

**A little more technical term.   It's an item you can't think of the name of, but it's usually mechanical or electronic device

"Hey honey, while you're bringing me the doodad & the thingamabob that's under the whatchamacallit next to the doohickey, watch out for that gizmo.  It breaks easily. 


7.  KNICKKNACK

**This is a small decorative object

"Hey honey, what do you mean you can't find the doodad & thingamabob that's under the whatchamacallit next to the doodad?   It's probably because you've got too many knickknacks everywhere.  Remember, watch out for the gizmo near the thingamajig."


8.  WHATNOT

Growing up, my family used this interchangeably with Knickknacks.   I've still got some of the whatnots that I grew up with.    This term can also be used in a way to include various objects you don't feel like listing.

For example:

"Hey honey, maybe the whatchamacallit & doodad aren't under the doohickey next to the thingamajig near the gizmo.   Move your knickknacks & whatnots near the drawer that has the pens, paper clips & whatnot and check there."


HONORABLE MENTION:


9.   WHOZITS & WHATZITS

I wasn't familiar with these 2 terms growing up, but later in life,  Ariel from "The Little Mermaid"  uses them in her song 'Part of That World"    

"…..I've got gadgets & gizmos aplenty.   I've got whozits & whatzits galore…..you want thingamabobs…..I've got 20….."



Well, I'd type more, but I need to go look for the doohickey under the whatchamacallit near the thingamajig close to the doodad that sits next to the gizmo under the whatnots & knickknacks.   Now…just where did I leave those whozits & whatzits?

Have a great day!

================


TRIVIA ANSWER:
Benjamin Franklin; George Washington

BRAIN RIDDLE ANSWER:
eye

Until next time…….

No comments: