Wednesday, June 4, 2014

TIPS THAT HELP WITH WORRYING


Here's some fun for the day…...


TRIVIA:
What city is graced with Michelangelo's statue of David?

BRAIN TEASER:
What year comes next in this sequence:
1971, 1979, 1987, 1993, 1997, 1999…..

JOKE:
Q:  At what time of day was Adam created?
A:  A little before Eve.


COMIC FUN:




QUOTE:  
"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow.  It empties today of its strength."
(Corrie Ten Bloom)


TRICIA'S TWEET OF THE DAY:
God has a purpose and a plan through every situation.





TIPS THAT HELP WITH WORRYING






Worry.   I'd say we all worry at some point in our lives.  I know I can be a worrier at times.  It seems I like smaller things worry more than big things.   The big things are so out of my realm to take care of, that it seems easier to hand those over to God and have Him handle it.  However, I really need to hand over all worries to God….big or small.   

One of the things that has helped me over the years are specific Scripture verses about  worrying.   It seems that worry started creeping in on me around my teen years.   One of the things I started back then, and still do today, is that I turn to several of my favorite 'worry verses'.   They seem to help me and remind me that God is in control.    I thought I'd share these verses today.   


First…..my favorite verse of the Bible.   

Philippians 4: 6-7


Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all He has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

Here's my next favorite:

Matthew 6: 25-27  
That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are?  Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?


I love this verse, these words spoken by Jesus.  It's so helpful for me.  I love the last part "Can all your worries add a single moment to your life"    Here's the footnote from my Bible that goes with these verses.

There are many ill effects with worry.  1.  Damages your health  2. disrupts your productivity
3. negatively affects the way you treat others.  4.  reduces your ability to trust God.
There is a difference between worry and genuine concern.  Worry immobilizes.  Concern moves you into action.


Jesus' words on worry similar to above are also mentioned in Luke.

Luke 12: 22-26


Then, turning to his disciples, Jesus said, “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food to eat or enough clothes to wear.  For life is more than food, and your body more than clothing. Look at the ravens. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for God feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than any birds!  Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And if worry can’t accomplish a little thing like that, what’s the use of worrying over bigger things?
Here's the footnote that goes with this verse:
Worry is pointless because it can't fill any of our needs; worry is foolish because the Creator of the Universe loves us and knows what we need.  He promises to meet all our real needs but not necessarily all our desires.

Here's another favorite:

Matthew 6:34

So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries.  Today's trouble is enough for today.

The King James version of the last part of this verse is 'sufficient unto the day if the evil thereof'  

Here's the footnote that goes with this verse.  Good stuff:

Planning for tomorrow is time well spent; worrying about tomorrow is time wasted.  Worriers are consumed by fear and find it difficult to trust God.   They let their plans interfere with their relationship with God.  Don't let worries about tomorrow affect your relationship with God today.


This next verse was also on my 'worry readings' list.   It doesn't speak specifically to worry, but it always helps and I find if comforting

James 1: 2 - 4

Dear brothers and sisters, whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy.  For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow.  So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything.


Those are my favorite worry verses.  

This chart is also in my Bible:


SEVEN REASONS NOT TO WORRY

1.  The same God who created life in you can be trusted with the details of your life
2.  Worrying about the future hampers your efforts for today
3.  Worrying is more harmful than helpful
4.  God does not ignore those who depend on Him.
5.  Worrying shows lack of faith in and understanding of God.
6.  Worrying keeps us from real challenges God wants us to pursue.
7.  Living one day at a time keeps us from being consumed with worry.



I'd like to think I'll never worry again, but I know that's not the case.   However, I'm thankful and blessed for a God who takes care of me and is there for me, I just need to remember to 'let go and Let God'.    I look at these verses all the time, so now that I have them in one place in this post, I'm sure I'll be referring back to it a lot over time and I'll continue to remind myself of the following:

Turn your worries into prayers.   Want to worry less?  Then pray more.




Until next time…….

============

TRIVIA ANSWER:
Florence, Italy

BRAIN TEASER ANSWER:
2003  ( they are prime number years)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm printing this out so I can have it at reach lov you

Michele Farmer said...

These are wonderful reminders of God's care of each of us. I too, have worry issues, but have to remember He is in control. Your life is a powerful witness to this and such an encouragement to me. Love you!
Michele

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Michelle. Love you too!