Sunday, August 18, 2013

CAR TRAVEL GAMES



Here's some fun for the day......

TRIVIA:
What 2 colors make purple?

BRAIN TEASER:
Two men play five complete games of checkers.   Each man wins the same number of games.  There are no ties.   How is this possible?

JOKE:
Q:  What does an educated owl say?
A:  Whom.


QUESTION OF THE DAY:
Do the Alphabet song and Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star have the same tune?  

SECOND QUESTION OF THE DAY:
Did you just sing both those songs to see if it's true?


COMIC FUN:





TRICIA'S TWEET OF THE DAY:
Life is about laughing & living in good & bad times.  Getting through whatever comes our way & looking back with a smile.



RANDOM OBSERVATION:

Recently, my husband and I took a trip in the car where we drove for close to 4 hours.   I got to thinking about the various car games I used to play as a kid when my family traveled.  I also thought about the car games we played later in life with our daughter.   I think the standard fare these days is for parents to plop in a DVD for kids, but I think car games were pretty special.   I thought I'd take a look back on some that I used to play and maybe you have some too.    Here's the ones I can remember.



CAR BINGO




My absolute favorite were these car bingo games.     In this game you each had different boards and had to look for landmarks.   Whoever got bingo (5 in a row in any direction) first was the winner.    There were landmark ones, city ones and car ones.   I loved it as a kid and played it all the time with our daughter as well.  After the first Bingo you try to be the one to cover the board.   This can be tricky because often you'll have something odd like a Eagle or 2-legged dog you have to find.    Ok, maybe the 2-legged dog isn't really on there.



LICENSE PLATE GAME




This game could be played as a team or as a competition.    I think I played competitively against my brother.   When it was later in life with my daughter and husband,  we played it as a team working together to collect the states.     Basically, you just look at license plates and get a point for each different state you find.   Finding something like a Hawaii or Alaska is pretty rare, but it's quite fun.





ALPHABET BILLBOARD GAME





I was always fascinated at reading billboards whenever on a road trip.    I would get so excited when we would come upon the ones showing that our destination was near.    This game can also be played as a group or as a competition.    Basically, as you come upon billboards you go through the alphabet in order, one letter per billboard.   For instance, the first billboard you are looking for the letter A.   You can either have this be anywhere on the billboard, or a word that starts with A, depending how difficult you want the game to be.   Once A in found, you move on to finding B on the next billboard or until you find it, then move on to C and etc.     This can get tricky when you get to letters like X and Z.




BEE BEE BUMBLE BEE




This is the classic 'bee, bee, bumble bee, I see something you don't see and it is.......' (usually followed by a color)   Then the person has to guess what the item is.    If you are just doing this for inside the car items, a super clean car would make for a boring game, so junk it up.   Haha.   If you include outside items, you just have to be quick about it so you don't pass the item before the person gets a chance to guess.



                                                           CACOLOGAME




My brother and I would play this one a lot.    We'd each pick a car color, then we note our mile marker when we passed one.   We'd set a destination of a particular number of miles and whoever saw their car color the most during that distance was the winner.     Then you take a little break and play it again with different colors.     As a variation to this game we would sometimes pick types of cars.   Trans Ams vs Pick Ups or Corvettes vs Beetles.    Speaking of Beetles......



PUNCH BUGGY



In this game, you get to punch each other whenever you see a Volkswagon Beetle car.  The PT Cruiser is used in this game sometimes as well and you say 'cruiser bruiser'. This of course has potential to get out of hand with a couple of sleepy, grumbly kids.   I guess that's why the game 'electric shock beetle' never took off quite as well.    


Something else that was a lot of fun back in the day that wasn't necessarily a car game were C.B. Radios.   I'll do a separate post on that sometime in the future.


I'm sure there are more car games than the ones I listed.   Let me know if you have some different ones.   Car games add to family fun while traveling, so let's put away the iPads and the DVD's and grab an old fashioned Car Bingo card.    You never realized how exciting a grain silo can be until you pass it and it completes your 5 in a row.  BINGO!



TRIVIA ANSWER
Red and Blue

BRAIN TEASER ANSWER:
The two men were not playing against each other.  

Until next time........

No comments: