Sunday, August 4, 2013

THE FORGOTTEN FRONT PORCH



I've been on vacation for a week and so the Tidbits went on vacation with me.   We are both back.

Here's some fun for the day........

TRIVIA:  
What is the capital of Sweden?

BRAIN TEASER:
How far can a dog run into a forest?

JOKE:
Q:  where do fish keep their money?
A:  in the riverbank


THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Never sneeze with scrambled egg in your mouth

COMIC FUN:





TRICIA's TWEET OF THE DAY:
You don't hold a grudge, it holds you.  Holding a grudge is self-inflicted pain.  






RANDOM OBSERVATION
My daughter and niece both recently moved into some rental houses in older neighborhoods.   The thing I love about these older houses are the large covered front porches.   You can almost tell by looking at houses what era they are from.    It's sad that somewhere along the way houses stopped being built with the large front porches.

I think the general openness and friendliness of neighborhoods left along with the front porches.   Garages and garage door remotes add a little bit to that too.   There was a time when people would pull up to their house either into a carport or the car stayed outside.   That led to being more social.  Even with garages before the remotes people actually got out to open the garage door so there was little more time to be out front and socialize.  Those things combined with front porches seemed to make neighborhoods more open and friendly.  Now people in newer neighborhoods come home, hit the garage remote, pull in the garage and then hang out on their back deck with a privacy fence cutting them off from their neighbors.   Not everyone does this obviously, but more so than used to.   

(me, my brother Trent, my cousin Bobby and my cousin John-John in front of my Mema's front porch.   You can see the swing I loved in the background)

My childhood house didn't have a front porch and was built in the late 60's, so maybe that's when to front porch started to fade.   I would love when we would go visit my grandmother. (  Mema as I called her.)   I would hang out on her front porch in her wooden swing for hours.   There's something about a front porch and a wooden swing that says 'take it easy....slow down'.   The sound of the chain and the creak sound of the swing always made me smile.   The wooden swing is my favorite, but I think honorable mention goes to the front porch rocking chair too.

Many of us may not have the front porches or the wooden swings, but it's good to adopt that 'philosophy' every now and then.   Take a moment from time to time to 'take it easy and slow down'.   Oh yeah, and don't forget to wave to your neighbor.  






TRIVIA ANSWER:
Stockholm

BRAIN TEASER ANSWER:
Halfway.  After that it will be running out of the forest. 

Until next time.......
   

No comments: