Tuesday, May 21, 2013

DANCE RECITALS (....and one fun costume)


Here's some fun for the day....


TRIVIA:  (Answer below)
Which witch is flattened by the house in “The Wizard of Oz’?

PHRASE FUN:  What phrase is this?  (Answer below)

STA4NCE


JOKE:
Q:  Why did Tigger look in the toilet?
A:  To find Pooh

QUOTE:
"I've got all the money I'll ever need; if I die by Four O'clock"
(Henny Youngman)

TRICIA'S TWEET OF THE DAY:
Our days are overcrowded.    A life packed with materialistic pursuits deafens us to God's Word.  Stay free so you can hear God when He speaks.

(me on the far left)

RANDOM OBSERVATION:
A childhood memory for many a little girl is dance recitals.   They are the culmination of a year’s work on step-ball-changes and heel-toe-heel-toes.    I’d venture to guess one of the main things most little girls love about the recitals are the costumes.   I’d also venture to guess that most Dads and menfolk would rather watch paint dry than to sit through a recital.   Not usually their cup of tea and a slow form of torture for them, but not what this post will be about, maybe some other time.   

I’m thinking back to a particular recital of mine back in 1969.   Oh boy, did I love my costume.  The picture of me in the costume is at the top of the page.  The costume was for a little Salsa number and it had real maracas which I thought was just about the coolest thing ever.   The costume itself was about as comfortable as rough sandpaper on a hot summer day, but I didn’t care.  It was colorful and it was festive.   It broke me out in hives, but I never wanted to take it off.   The other cool thing with this costume is that I got to dance barefoot, which I loved.

The day of the big dance recital arrived.   I was finally going to get to dance in my costume on a real stage.   I couldn’t wait.   Me and the costume would become one with the Salsa number.   Well, I got on that stage and I didn’t want to leave it.  And so...I didn’t.   When my class number was over, my classmates all exited.....but I didn’t join them.  I stayed on stage and kept dancing to my own made-up beat.  I guess you would call it an ad-lib dance.  The audience was cheering me on, which I came to realize I loved.   I can imagine now, as an adult, watching a dance recital and seeing a 5-year old take over the stage in her own Salsa dance review, refusing to exit.   I’d be clapping and cheering too.    

Eventually, someone came along and showed me the exit off the stage, but I’ll always remember my solo Salsa number....and quite frankly.....would probably do that again today.   I still have that costume tucked away and had my daughter try it on years ago when she was little.   The way I see it........every body needs a little Salsa in their lives.


(The picture of me still on the stage after the rest of the class has exited)

TRIVIA ANSWER:
Wicked Witch of the East
PHRASE FUN:
For Instance
Until next time......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I DO REMEMBER THAT AND I WAS PROUD TO SEE YOU ON THE STAGE BY YOURSELF. LOVE U MOM

Tracy H said...

if you keep posting stuff like this, Tristen will have nothing to blackmail you with.....lol
Love it! Like I said, we HAVE got to SIT TOGETHER at a football game. Tell HB for one game, he can do without you! We would be on the screen the whole time and especially if we get to move downstairs! Have a great day!

Unknown said...

So true Tracy!