Monday, June 24, 2013

CARNIVALS AND FAIRS: CLASSIC AMERICANA



Here's some fun for the day....

TRIVIA:
Which U.S. State was an independent nation for 10 years during the 19th century?


JOKE:  
Q:  Why can't a bicycle stand up by itself?
A:  Because it's two-tired.

PHRASE FUN:  (what is a rhyming phrase for the following?  Answer at bottom)

NERVOUS FRIED BREAKFAST FOOD


QUOTE:
"Blood may be thicker than water, but it's certainly not as thick as ketchup.  Nor does it go well with French Fries."
Jarod Kintz

COMIC FUN:





TRICIA'S TWEET OF THE DAY:
Everything will work out in the end.   If it's not working out, it's not the end.

RANDOM OBSERVATION:
I recently returned from Hilton Head, S.C.   This reminded me of Myrtle Beach, which reminded me of the Pavilion at Myrtle Beach, which reminded me of Carnivals and Fairs.  (that's how my brain works)   The Pavilion at Myrtle Beach in the 1970's was like a County Fair.   My brother and I loved it.   This got us always wanting to go to those mini-Fairs you see in the parking lots of Malls.   Our mom wasn't a huge fan of the ones in the malls, so she would try to divert our attention in the opposite direction when we would pass one.   This rarely worked and then we'd be bugging her through her errands to take us to the 'fair'.

Here's a look down memory lane at some classic Carnival games, rides and treats:


CARNIVAL GAMES:
My all time favorite game was the one where you shoot water from a water gun into a clowns mouth and blow up a balloon.   I was the champ and this and very intense.   It was pretty tough to beat me on this one.


I also liked the game where the little plastic ducks were streaming by on the water and you picked one.  The number underneath the duck told you of your prize.


There was also the ring toss, milk jug game and another favorite of mine...the horse race.   This one was one where you popped a foam into different valued openings and it made your horse go.   I was pretty much champ at this one too.




I also really loved the Saloon Shooting Gallery.  This is where you'd shoot a laser or air gun and when you hit the targets you either made the piano player play or water spew from a jug etc.




CARNIVAL RIDES

I'm a huge fan of amusement parks and I would guess it goes back to my great memories of the Pavilion and Fairs.    Some of my favorite rides were the Loop-O-Plane, Scrambler, The Bobsleds (aka Bayern Curve) , Ferris Wheel, Tilt-A-Whirl, Octopus  plus many more....







I also really liked this ride called a 'Whip It".   You would go slow as you go straight and then it would sort of sling you around the corner.    It wasn't exactly a thrill ride, but I loved it.


I also liked the roller coasters and the fun house.   Even though the fun house would creep me out and I could never find my way out of the house of mirrors.



CARNIVAL FOODS

What Carnival would be complete with out the food.   Lots of good eats.   



Well, that was a fun trip down memory lane for me, I hope you enjoyed it too.    Carnivals and fairs have changed throughout the years, but the memories they bring last a lifetime.

TRIVIA ANSWER:
Texas

PHRASE FUN:
Shakin' Bacon

Until next time.......

No comments: