Sunday, June 9, 2013

TV TRAYS, TV DINNERS & SUPPER OR DINNER?



Here's some fun for the day.....

TRIVIA:
How many U.S. States have single syllable names?  Name them.

JOKE:  
Q:  What are four hundred rabbits hopping backward?
A:  A receding hare line

PHRASE FUN:  (What phrase does the following represent?  Answer at bottom)

Give Give
Give Give
Get Get 
Get Get

QUOTE: 
"I never panic when I get lost.  I just change where it is I want to go."
Rita Rudner

COMIC FUN:




TRICIA'S TWEET OF THE DAY:
Right now, God is walking with you even in your difficult circumstance.  You don't need to fix it before you go to God.   He is with you.

RANDOM OBSERVATION:
I was having a conversation with some friends recently & we got into a discussion of dinner vs supper.  We also reminisced about TV trays & the old pre-microwave TV dinners. 

First, dinner vs supper.  Growing up, we always called the evening meal supper.  Some people call it dinner.  I use the term dinner now more now than I did in the past.  It seems that dinner can be the midday meal or evening, but supper can only be the evening meal.  For instance, some people have Sunday dinner, but it's really lunch.  Confused yet?  Which do you call the evening meal:  dinner or supper?





Now on to TV dinners & TV trays.   Growing up, it was always a treat to get to eat in the family room in front of the television on a TV tray.  The trays were the old metal kind with a design.  The tray clicked into the legs that cross-crossed.   It seems like on the nights we ate on TV trays we also ate the TV dinners.  I loved them.  Especially since I'm a girl who doesn't like my food to touch.  Those separated compartments were an extra treat.  My favorite TV dinner was the Salisbury Steak & Beans & Franks.  Back in the pre-microwave days they were in a foil container & you cooked them in the oven.  I thought they were great.   Once we switched to plastic containers & the microwave they were never quite as good.  For those of you to young to have experienced the foil version you missed some good eats.  





I was pondering how it seems the TV tray are a thing on the past & I was wondering why.  I think part of the reason is so many people eat supper (or dinner) at restaurants now.   Busy schedules & such.  Kind of sad if this is true, because there's no beating sitting down with the family to a home cooked meal.  Going to a restaurant used to be a treat when I was growing up.  I think we have so much these days that we don't appreciate the simple things.  Things like family dinner time & the treat of getting to eat in the family room.  The Shakers have a saying '..tis a gift to be simple'.  Sometimes that's very true.   We don't always need to do the elaborate dinner or the elaborate vacation.   Little things can be special and memorable too.


TRIVIA ANSWER:
One; Maine

PHRASE FUN:
Forgive and Forget

Until next time........


No comments: