Wednesday, October 9, 2013

5 EVERYDAY SAYINGS THAT COME FROM THE BIBLE (PART 2)


Here's some fun for the day..........

TRIVIA: (Answer at bottom)
What South American city does an 82 foot statue of Jesus overlook?

BRAIN TEASER:
I can run but not walk.  What am I?

JOKE:
Q:  Why does a moon-rock taste better than an Earth-rock?
A:  Because it's a little meteor.  

QUESTION OF THE DAY:
Is there another word for synonym?

COMIC FUN:



TRICIA'S TWEET OF THE DAY:
When others view your life, do they see something different in your speech, actions and choices that would lead them to God?



5 EVERYDAY SAYINGS THAT COME FROM THE BIBLE


1. A WOLF IN SHEEP'S CLOTHING





This is a saying that is used to convey when someone is playing a role contrary to their true character.   One with whom contact is dangerous

This can be found in Matthew 7:15

"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves."

I've run across people like this before.   Love the verse and the warning.  Pretty cool.

This saying is not to be confused with a 'wolf in grandma's clothing'.   That's Little Red Riding Hood saying.    The sad part of that story is that Red Riding Hood didn't catch on right away.   Sort of lets you in on what a beauty grandma was.


2.   BY THE SKIN OF YOUR TEETH



This saying is used to describe a situation someone barely manages to escape from.   A narrow escape from disaster.

This can be found in Job 19:20

"I am nothing but skin and bones;  I have escaped only by the skin of my teeth"

Interesting to me that Job says this.   There must be an origin even before him.   

Note:   If you have skin on your teeth it's past time to brush.  Grab some Crest for crying out loud.


3.   AT THEIR WITS' END


(picture I took of myself a few mornings ago)

This phrase is used when someone is at the limit of their mental resources.   At a loss of what to do and typically ties in with frustration.

This can be found in Psalms 107:27

"They reeled and staggered like drunkards; they were at their wits' end."

I don't have a lot of wits about me anymore, but what little I have, I can be at the end of them from time to time.     Ah......to you be young again and at my wits beginning.


4.  A FLY IN THE OINTMENT


(flies are too ugly, so this is ointment sans flies)

This phrase is used when someone or something spoils a situation that could have been successful or pleasant.   



This can be found in Ecclesiastes 10:1

"Dead flies make the perfumer's ointment give off a stench; so a little folly outweighs wisdom and humor."

A fly in your ointment is not to be confused with a fly in your soup.   The latter leads to some jokes:

Customer:  Waiter, there's a fly in my soup
Waiter: Calm down, don't you see there's a spider on your spoon?

Customer:  Waiter, there's a dead fly in my soup.
Waiter:  Yes, I know, it never learned to swim.

Customer:  Waiter, there's a dead fly in my soup.
Waiter:  What about it?  I'm a waiter not a vet.

Customer:  Waiter, there's a frog in my soup.
Waiter:  What can I say, we were all out of flies. 



5.  MY CUP RUNNETH OVER




This phrase means that you have more than enough for your needs.  

This can be found in Psalms 23: 5

"Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:  thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over." 

The 'cup runneth over' verbiage comes from the King James Version of the Bible.  Many of the other versions word it as 'my cup overflows with blessings'.    Something I try to remind myself of everyday, even in the midst of turmoil and problems.   When I start to get a little down or overwhelmed, if I just stop right there and thank God for 5 specific blessings in my life, it's amazing how much better I start to feel.   



TRIVIA ANSWER:
Rio de Janeiro

BRAIN TEASER ANSWER
a nose

I'll end this post with Psalms 23 (The New Living Translation)  I like this translation because it makes me 'see' it better.  I memorized the King James Version, and it's very pretty, but sometimes when I memorize something I begin to lose the meaning.  It is a very comforting passage and good to read in many translations.


The Lord is my Shepherd;
I have all that I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows;
He leads me beside peaceful streams. 
He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths, 
bringing honor to His name.
Even when I walk through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid,
Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies.
Your honor me by anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.
Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.

All I can say to that is Amen.


Until next time............






No comments: