Wednesday, October 2, 2013

TOP 5 CLASSIC MINI-SERIES


Here's some fun for the day..........

TRIVIA: (answer below)
After the Battle of Iwo Jima, the U.S. occupied Iwo Jima until what year? 


BRAIN TEASER: (what phrase is represented by the following?  Answer at bottom)


9S7A4F8E6T2Y3


QUESTION OF THE DAY:
If man evolved from apes then why do we still have apes?



COMIC FUN:



TRICIA'S TWEET OF THE DAY:
When you seek God first with your whole heart, you will find Him.  He's always there waiting for you.




5 CLASSIC MINI-SERIES


One of the things I miss these days are the classic Mini-Series that used to be a staple on television back in the 70's & 80's.    I loved them.   I know there are still some Mini-Series on now from time to time, but with a bajillion channels now, it's not the same 'event' as it used to be.   

Back in the day when there were just 3 channels, a Mini-Series was quite the event.   There would be commercials for weeks building the anticipation.   I actually watched commercials back then because I watched live TV and couldn't fast forward past them.   It seemed when there was a mini-series on one of the 3 channels, the other 2 channels sort of 'gave up' during that time and put on generic programming.    You know, something like "The Life & Times of the Hermit Crab & Other Terrestrial Species".    When I'd go to school, we'd all be talking about the Mini-Series and it seemed to be a community/National event.    

I thought I'd list at a few of the Mini-Series that I think are classics.     I'll list my 2 favorites first.


1.   LONESOME DOVE  (1989)




I absolutely love this one.   Robert Duvall's acting in Lonesome Dove is just about the best I've ever seen.    He embodied the character of Augustus 'Gus' McCrae.   I don't know if I've ever seen a better character portrayal than Duvall's Gus.   Tommy Lee Jones is also noteworthy as Woodrow F. Call.    The musical soundtrack of this movie is also incredible and definitely enhances the story.    I bought the cassette tape of the soundtrack back in the day, and now it's hi-techy on my iPhone playlist.   I get misty whenever it plays.



This is a great story and a good look at the Old West.   I like it too because the men were manly men.   Tough guys.   That's what I like.  That's why I married me a 'pioneer' type guy myself.     I think it would serve our nation well if we could go back to the Old West type days where men were tough and had gusto.   That seems to be fading.  Too many men are afraid of their women these days and don't know how to hunt and fish and do guy things, but I'll save that for a future post.   Let's mosie along......


2.  NORTH AND SOUTH (1985)



I was a huge fan of "North and South"  (also North and South: Book 2)  I love sagas that follow families through time.   Especially historical events because I like history too.   North and South had all of that combined plus a beautiful theme song composed by Bill Conti.   If that name sounds familiar it's because he also composed the music from the movie "Rocky" as well as the theme music for the television shows "Dynasty" and "Falcon Crest" plus lots more.   The North and South theme music is so majestic and captures the era and is another that gets me misty every time I hear it.   Reminds me of the wonderful story of a great friendship between Orry Main from the South and George Hazard from the North.    



Also, since I'm one to always love a good villain, Philip Casnoff's portrayal of Elkanah Bent was awesome.   The villain you love to hate.   He was so dastardly and that southern accent.....loved it, loved it, loved it.     




Terri Garber was also a great villainess as Ashton.   She gave Vivian Leigh a run for her money.    So when Ashton and Elkanah Bent got together......it was quite the pairing.

My most recent viewing of this mini-series was with friends on the way to New Orleans for the SEC Tourny.   





3.  ROOTS (1977)


"Roots" was an definitely a mini-series that was also an 'event'.    This is the first mini-series I remember that it seemed like everyone was watching and everyone was talking about.    It followed the saga of Kunta Kinta from Africa to America, his family and the subject of slavery.    Even though the Civil Rights movement had been present for some time, "Roots" was such an important television show, that I think it changed the way America thought in regards to race.    It was a raw look into the realities of slavery.   

There were also some amazing character portrayal such as Lou Gossett Jr as Fiddler....



....and Ben Vereen as Chicken George.




The story of "Roots" was based on author Alex Haley's ancestors.   Below is a picture of the 'real' Chicken George next to Ben Vereen playing the character.






4.  THE THORNBIRDS  (1983)



I was in college when this mini-series aired and it was quite the event amongst all the college girls.   It was another family saga.   Now that I think about it, I guess most mini-series follow a family through history.     The romance and passion of the movie was between the characters Meggie Cleary and Ralph de Bricassart (played by Rachel Ward and Richard Chamberlain), however, a real life relationship developed between Rachel Ward and her costar Bryan Brown.   They married soon afterwards and are still married today.    If you know anything about Richard Chamberlain you know that Rachel wasn't his type so to speak.






The Thornbirds story was based in Australia.   It became the 2nd rated mini-series of all time behind Roots.     



5.  THE WINDS OF WAR (1983)




I didn't see this one when it first came out.   Not sure what's up with that since I didn't miss many of them and this was a big one.   Maybe I was on vacation or something.   I did recently watch it with some friends on the way to the Final Four Tournament in Houston.    It was great entertainment and made the long drive fly by.   I felt like I knew Victor 'Pug' Henry so well by the time the trip was over.   Robert Mitchum did a great job and basically was playing Robert Mitchum.   Kind of like how John Wayne always played John Wayne in his movies.   Just being themselves.   Ali MacGraw on the other hand......uggghhh.   That was just about the worst acting I'd seen in a long time.   It was painful when she was on screen.   I think my pillow would be a better actor.    She was replaced by Jane Seymour in the sequel.   I haven't watched it yet, but have it.   I guess I need another road trip to a basketball tourny.  (make it happen UK)

The Winds of War was a family saga (ok, I'm seeing they are all now) that took place in WWII.   I love that era, so I was extra intrigued.    I'd love to have those 40's fashions now and to put on my dress and gloves to go to the grocery.    


Those are the 5 that I see as being the top 5 classic.    Here's a few more classics along with some newbies.


SHOGUN (1980)




JESUS OF NAZARETH (1977)




THE HATFIELDS AND MCCOYS (2012)



THE BIBLE (2013)





TRIVIA ANSWER:
1968

BRAIN TEASER:
'There's safety in numbers'

Until next time..........

No comments: