Tuesday, October 22, 2013

HALLOWEEN HUMOR & FUN



Here's some fun for the day...........


Here's a soundtrack to listen to while reading this post:   It's 'Grim Grinning Ghosts' from the Haunted Mansion Ride at Disney World.  


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXK-1e4Xm5g


HALLOWEEN TRIVIA:  (Answer at bottom)

1.  The Ancient Celts used what vegetable to carve out their Jack-O-Lanterns?

2.  Which candy is ranked as the #1 most popular Halloween candy?

3.  What country is considered to be the location of the origin of Jack-O-Lanterns?

4.  What was the first wrapped candy in America?

5.  How long did it take to make the movie "Halloween" in 1978?


HALLOWEEN JOKES:

Q:  What do you call a skeleton that won't work?
A:  A lazy bones.

Q:  Why is a ghost such a messy eater?
A:  Because he is always a goblin.

Q:  Why did dracula take cold medicine?
A:  Because he was coffin.

Q:  Where do ghosts like to water ski?
A:  On Lake Erie

Q:  What does a skeleton order at a restaurant?
A:   Spare ribs.

Q:  Why didn't Dracula have any friends?
A:  Because he was a pain in the neck.

Q:  How do you make a witch itch?
A:  Take away her 'W'.

Q:  Why don't mummies take vacations?
A:  Because they're afraid they will relax and unwind.

Q:  What's it like to be kissed by Dracula?
A:  It's a pain in the neck.




HALLOWEEN COMIC FUN:












Here's a look at some vintage Halloween decorations that remind me of some from my childhood:  ( some of you from the 70's may recognize these)












CARVING PUMPKINS





I loved carving pumpkins as a kid and later in life with my husband and daughter.   I still enjoy it, but haven't done it for a couple of years.    I remember that my brother and I would love to reach our hands inside the pumpkin and feel the slimy seeds.   My daughter enjoyed that as well.  I grew to love that smell when you first carve open the pumpkin.   The sense of smell can bring back lots of great memories.

The design above is the one that most closely resembled the type of carving we did when I was a kid and when our daughter was little.    I think most people tend to repeat the design that they grew up with.    Of course, there's all kinds of fancy smancy carving designs these day, but I still prefer the traditional face.    The mouth design is slightly up for grabs, but in my world the eyes and nose must always be a triangle.   I was the official 'drawer' of the design as a kid.   Another great smell was that of the big black magic marker that I'd use to draw the design of the pumpkin.   I remember it squeaking as I'd draw with it too.    The pic below is another design we would sometimes do.  




Whatever your design, going to the pumpkin patch ( or the grocery store) and picking out your pumpkin for carving is a fun time for kids and for those of us that will always be kids at heart.  




TRIVIA ANSWER:
1.  Turnips   
2.  Reese's Peanut Butter cups
3.   Ireland  (people placed candles in hollowed out turnips to keep spirits and ghosts away on the Samhain holiday.
4.  Tootsie rolls
5.  21 days


TRICIA'S TWEET OF THE DAY:
For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. 
(Philippians 4: 13)


Until next time..........

No comments: